“About one third of the elder population over the age of 65 falls each year, and the risk of falls increases proportionately with age. At 80 years, over half of seniors fall annually.”1
Have you thought seriously about your loved one’s potential to fall? As they age, the threat becomes increasingly severe. Falls can often lead to furthered complications and health risks. 3Two-thirds of those who fall will do so again in within the next six months.”2 Do you know how to prevent falls as best as you can? Read our tips below to keep your mom or dad safe and happy in their own homes.
- Minimize clutter
- Put a night light in the hallway and the bathroom
- Install a hand rail in the shower, or get a shower chair
- Make sure all cords are tightly secured
- Purchase an Emergency Alert system
- Encourage weekly exercise and strength training (especially in the legs)
- Practice getting up from possible fall scenarios
- Get rid of loose rugs
- Wear grip socks or slippers
“Falls contribute to over 40% of nursing home admissions and are the 7th leading cause of death in people aged 65 or older.”3 Keep your parents safe. Keep your parents out of a nursing home. Keep your parents comfortable in their own home. Call Oxford Healthcare today and receive a free home consultation to ensure their safety. (918)258-1111
About Oxford HealthCare
Oxford HealthCare is located in Tulsa, Oklahoma and serves the surrounding areas with highest quality home care, caregiver respite, and assisted living services. Services include home care evaluation, medication management, errands, light housekeeping, personal care, assistance, respite care, care coordination, companionship and much more.