Planning care for your aging parent is a time consuming, emotionally draining task. While there are many options for elder care, making the best choice is crucial. How much help do they need? Can they still drive? Is it safe for them to continue cooking, cleaning and grooming themselves? These are all questions that Oxford can help you to answer before having ‘the talk.’ In order to sustain a positive conversation leading to the best choice of assistance, starting the conversation early will lead to more beneficial outcomes.
It is pertinent to have in-depth conversations with your loved ones to fully understand their preferences, ensuring a smoother transition. Maintaining open communication and truly listening to their desires allows your loved one to continue to feel their independence. You achieve a positive dialogue with patience, kindness, understanding and problem-solving teamwork. We have outlined a step-by-step approach to analyzing your parents’ behavior and finding the perfect, personalized care routine for their comfort.
1) Assess their behaviors (grooming, house cleaning, cooking, driving, etc.)
2) Lightly brush the subject of their independence by referring to someone else you may know who now receives help
3) Review their reactions to help guide your approach to the talk
4) Research the available options in their community so that you can steer the conversation with facts, granting them the possibility to make the most educated decision, leading to a higher likelihood of happiness
5) Have the conversation: start with light, fun topics to open their warmth and receptiveness to the difficult discussion. Always approach the options with a teamwork mindset, problem-solving together for the best solution.
6) Allow time for your loved one to assess their options and needs
7) Softly approach the conversation until a decision is made. If necessary, you may need to get the family doctor involved to decide on a solution.
Although the conversation is difficult for everyone involved, it is best to start early and hash out a plan for your loved one’s optimal future. At Oxford HealthCare, our knowledgeable staff can help guide you and your family each step of the way to ensure a comfortable future for your loved one with a personalized care plan. What are you waiting for? Spring forward with Oxford; let’s get the conversation started today.